Foundation of the IAS Society
The Intelligent Autonomous Systems (IAS) Society was founded on July 14th 1994. At the IAS-2 conference in Amsterdam a questionnaire was distributed to get an indication on whether there is sufficient interest to found an IAS Society. It was proposed that this Society should have as primary aim the organization of the IAS conference every other year. Alternatively, a workshop on a specific topic could be organized in those years when no conference is being held. It was also suggested that Society members would receive a newsletter informing them on the activities of the Society. During the IAS-3 conference in Pittsburgh (1993) the ideas were further discussed and it was decided to establish the IAS Society.
Thus, an International Society for Intelligent Autonomous Systems was founded by the organizers of the IAS Conferences on July 14th 1994. As of 1995, the Robotics and Autonomous Systems Journal of Elsevier has been affiliated to IAS Society. In the last thirteen
years the ideas have been further developed.
It has been decided that the Society membership can be acquired either by participating into a IAS Conference, that allows to apply freely for IAS membership for the two subsequent years, or by subscribing the Robotics and Autonomous Systems Journal, as illustrated in the "Journal and Society" page.
This journal is from now onwards also publish a news page from the Society.
The IAS Society has a Governing Board consisting of:
- Marcelo Ang, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Hajime Asama, The University of Tokyo, Japan – President
- Michael Beetz, Bremem University, Germany
- Henrik Christensen, Gergia Institute of Technology, USA
- Angel Pasqual Del Pobil, University Jaume1, Spain
- Ruediger Dillman, University of Karlsruhe, Germany – VicePresident and Editorin-Chief of RAS
- Maria Gini, University of Minneapolis, USA
- Frans Groen, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands – Treasurer
- Koh Hosoda, Osaka University, Japan
- Huosheng Hu, University of Exeter, Great Britain
- Sukhan Lee, Sungkyunkwan University, Korea – Past General Chair IAS-12
- Jangmyung Lee, Pusan National University, Korea
- Enrico Pagello, University of Padua, Italy – Past President
- Emanuele Menegatti, University of Padua, Italy – General Chair IAS-13
- Marcus Strand, Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University, Germany
- Kwang-Joon Yoon, Konkuk University, Korea
- Han Wang, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Society membership can be applied for by filling in the membership form. As a member of the Society you will not only be informed on the activities of the Society, but you will also have the possibility to influence the composition of its Governing Board, and consequently the content and place of the next IAS conference.
The next Conference, IAS-13, will be held in Padua and Venice, Italy, 15-19 July 2014, http://www.ias-13.org
Members of the Honorary board of the Society are:
- Tamio Arai, (former University of Tokyo, Japan)
- Hyung-Suck Cho, (DGIST/KAIST, Korea)
- Louis O. Hertzberger, (former University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- Hirochika Inoue, (former University of Tokyo, Japan)
- Takeo Kanade, (former Carnegie-Mellon University, USA)